When asking about healthy breakfast ideas, oatmeal usually comes up within the first three seconds. Everybody has their own personal feelings about the grain, but its benefits cannot be denied. Has anyone ever told you WHY oats are a good idea?
Well, regular oat consumption can...
- Boost GI motility by adding bulk to your stool (bye-bye constipation)
- Improve heart health by reducing cholesterol and lowering blood pressure
- Promote weight loss by keeping you fuller for longer (less overeating)
- Reduce type 2 diabetes risk by maintaining stable blood sugar levels
These are just a few of the many reasons why oatmeal is always a go-to breakfast for me. However, eating oatmeal five mornings out of the week forces you to get creative. My quest for new flavors led me this Quick Cook Carrot Cake Oatmeal.
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats (quick cook)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup carrots, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon crushed pineapple
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
Top with shredded coconut and/or walnuts for added crunch!
- Pour water in small pot and bring to boil. Once boiling, slowly add oats and carrots to water.
- Reduce heat to medium and mix in remaining ingredients (brown sugar, pineapple, cinnamon, vanilla and ginger). Allow oatmeal to simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place oatmeal in your favorite bowl, top with shredded coconut and/or walnuts.